Custom Search

Monday, June 18, 2012

Quilting scraps needed: no place like America

Quilt by Adam Dye
Quilt, a photo by Adam Dye on Flickr.
COUNTRYSIDE: I grew up with my parents, 15 sisters and three brothers. There were five sets of twins. We were the poorest family. We lived in a two-bedroom home with no inner walls; my bed was a small piece of kitchen floor behind the wood stove. There was no electricity, no inside plumbing, and no running water. We survived off spring water, an outhouse, homemade candles for light, a few hens, a cow for milk, and we had gardens. It was the 1970s and my dad didn't believe inchange. We were proud and refused government help. I started out in a homestead life.

Since that time I raised three sons and instilled pride in them. We survived without government help. Today I'm proud to be 58 years young. I live on $500 per month. I garden, cook, bake and exist on a strict budget.

At a young age I quit school to work. I went back to school at age 50 and got my high school diploma and history degrees in college. I am a published author.

I've been to every state in the USA, and Nova Scotia, Russia, Ireland, England and Germany.

Today at 58, and a grandmother of five, Famous Poet's Press published my latest collection of poetry "Poet's Pen."

America is the very best place to be--even better are its very small towns. I've gone back to the way of life I was brought up on, and there's no savings on a budget of $500 a month. If I can do it, so can others.

Today I live outside the very small farming town of Venice Center, New York. I can a lot, bake and cook. What I have, I share with others. I also design and make quilts. I give away to homeless and poor families. I also put up food boxed for those poor. I slip them on their porches after dark, secretly.

I am also co-founder of Free Quilts, formed in 1994. We create hand-sewn and machine-sewn quilts, to give away free to poor families, the homeless and elderly. Since 1994 we have made and given away 2,000 quilts.

We do not accept money. We do accept donations of clean scraps of cloth, for example, pieces from mom's apron, granddad's shirt, etc., and thread. In 2011, we made 300 quilts to give away free. We also are making lap quilts for nursing homes.

We cannot afford the Internet. We survive by word of mouth; we are a nonprofit group of volunteers. All donations of clean scraps of cloth and threads can be mailed to: Free Quilts, 2056 Stewarts CRS Rd., Venice Center, Scipio, NY 13147--Catherine Shaw Hoyt

Hoyt, Catherine Shaw

Source Citation
Hoyt, Catherine Shaw. "Quilting scraps needed: no place like America." Countryside & Small Stock Journal May-June 2012: 17+. Home Improvement Collection. Web. 18 June 2012.
Document URL
http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA287390618&v=2.1&u=22054_acld&it=r&p=PPHI&sw=w

Gale Document Number: GALE|A287390618

No comments: